aigues-mortes - Aigues-Mortes (Lat. aquae mortuae, dead waters); aigues-mortes - Old fortified town of France, in the department of Gard. It is 24 m. by rly. S.S.W. of Nimes, and 3 m. from the Mediterranean, with which it is connected by canal. Louis IX embarked here in 1248 and 1270 for the Crusades. Its well-preserved walls and towers were built about 1280. It carries on trade in coal, fruits, wine, and fish, and makes soda. Pop. 4,330.