Значение термина grain-alcohol в knolik
grain-alcohol - Grain-alcohol
grain-alcohol - The cereals contain an amylaceous (starchy) substance, which under the influence of diastase is converted into fermentable sugar. The following table shows the possible yields from different grains:
The processes necessary to prepare grain for fermentation are:
(1) Steeping in water for 30 to 40 hours, or until the grains yield readily when crushed between the fingers.
(2) Germination, or spreading the drained grain in beds on the prepared floors of a "malthouse," kept at 53½°F. (12° C.); here it heats, and soon begins to germinate (" grow out "), this operation being finished when the rootlets have attained ⅔ the length of the grains, which may require 8 to 15 days. Care is needed in regulating the temperature, and the mass wants turning every 6 to 8 hours before germination, and every 3 to 5 hours afterwards, the temperature of the grain being kept at 59° to 61° F. (15° to 16° C.).
(3) Drying the germinated grain ("malt") in layers of about 12 in. in a "kiln" at a temperature commencing at 95° F. (35° C.), rising to 131° to 140° F. (55° to 60° C.), and finishing at 176° to 194° F. (80° to 90° C.).
(4) Grinding more or less finely.
(5) Mashing the malt and unmaltedgrain with water at 95° to 100° F. (35°to 38° C.), to liberate the saccharine fermentable matters from the starch of the unmalted grain by the action of the diastase generated in the germination of the malt.
(6) Infusion of the mass by adding boiling water till the temperature reaches 140° to 158° F. (60° to 70° C.), then allowing to stand for 4 hours with the heat never below 122° F. (50° C.), to convert the liberated starch into glucose.
(7) Fermentation of the "wash," previously cooled down to 68° to 79° F. (20° to 26° C.), in covered vats, byadding about 10½ pints of liquid or 7 lb. of dry brewer's yeast for every 250 lb. of grain used, and leaving for 4 or 5 days.
Grain alcohols are chiefly represented by gin and whiskey.
Рядом со словом grain-alcohol в knolik
Статья про grain-alcohol была прочитана 402 раз
Our friends, knolik encyclopaedia knolik.com